free geoip Test Post From Firefox 1.0 - Jayson's Blog

Test Post From Firefox 1.0

[Update 11/13] Fixed font formatting.

This is just a test post from Firefox. .Text's font formatting toolbar isn't displayed in Firefox, which kind of worries me. I normally don't post via .Text (prefer BlogJet), but I'm putting Firefox through the paces. So far I'm impressed, and will be doing a full writeup soon. If Firefox doesn't support compiled web controls (I believe .Text uses FreeTextBox), that could be a problem.

Upon looking at the FreeTextBox website, it appears that this is an issue with the freetextbox.dll, not Firefox. The version that .Text uses is 1.6.2.16687. Dropping in the newest version (2.0.7.x) breaks .Text (apparently some members have been deleted...not a good way to release updates IMO). That all being said, Firefox has been a delight so far, and my blog actually renders correctly in it (mo' better than IE). Interestingly good :-). More to come...

Comments

# Bob said:

I noticed issue with Firefox a couple of releases ago when a media file was play internal to a web site. Well, a media player file if I remember correctly. Have you noticed anything? In case you have noticed by my rants I am getting semi perturbed at IE's security issues, which would almost make me want to use Firefox, except I like IE, and I paid for an OS with IE in it, so I would prefer they fix IE and I dont have to install another damn program to replicate behavior that is already inherent in my OS.

Friday, November 12, 2004 5:37 AM
# Ray Ray said:

Bob - Nope, I've been using Firefox for months now (as I told you earlier) and I've noticed absolutely nothing at all, and in fact the product has only gotten better and better with each release. I think what really got me hooked though was tab based browsing. It's like iSex, or something. I still need to use I.E. for a few things though, specifically OWA comes to mind first.

Friday, November 12, 2004 6:18 AM
# Shannon J Hager said:

"doesn't support compiled web controls "

what does that mean?
and what does it mean in the context of FTB?

Regardless of the answers to the above questions (and I am interested in hearing them), the reason the full editor controls aren't there when you use Firefox with .TEXT is because .TEXT uses an outdated version of FTB. That version did not aloow full editing functionality for firefox (though other components were available at the time that did).
Making the change to the newer version of FTB iwould be simple, if you check the forums for .TEXT, you'll find the instructions. While you're at it, you might want to turn on all of the FTB features that are turned off in .TEXT by default.

Friday, November 12, 2004 10:11 AM
# jayson knight said:

@shannon

"Upon looking at the FreeTextBox website, it appears that this is an issue with the freetextbox.dll, not Firefox" (per my post...read it).

I'm no longer blaming Firefox, I blame FTB. My initial reaction was wrong, and I retract that statement. Regardless of other components allowing full editing functionality within .Text, I'm quite disappointed that I couldn't simply drop in a new version of FTB in the /bin dir of .Text and be off and running...again, this points to flaws in FTB's dev/release process. I scoured the .Text forums for instructions as to how to replace the faulty dll to no avail...pointers are welcome :-). When I dropped a newer dll in the /bin, it broke .Text...that isn't user friendly as I shouldn't have to change calling code or recompile.

Friday, November 12, 2004 1:26 PM
# Dmitry said:

Special for firefoxers: http://blogjet.com/wiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BlogJetThis ;-)

Friday, November 12, 2004 5:19 PM
# Bob said:

Another interesting thing that I noticed, even though I cant post a blog from Safari or IE in OS X, I was able to post a blog from within Firefox for the Mac. Thats bodes well for its abilities. I realize that isnt real important to us PC users, but... ;)

Sunday, November 14, 2004 10:41 PM
# Phil said:

I know this is going to sound stupid...but how do you use firefox to publish to a blog? I am using a nucleus blog, and had been using w.bloggar successfully for several weeks until I encountered an error that I don't seem to be able to workaround (Unable to parse the XML response. Parser Reason: Invalid at the top level of the document. ) Now it won't even let me connect to my blog. So using Firefox sounds attractive.

I did a google search on using Firefox to publish to a blog, but nothing came up.

Phil

Wednesday, December 29, 2004 8:38 AM
# jayson knight said:

@Phil:

Personally, I don't use any web browser to post to my blog, especially given the reason I listed in my original post (.Text's version of FreeTextBox isn't compatible with Firefox). I use a great piece of software called BlogJet (yes, it's 20 bucks, but money well spent). I am not sure if it's compatible with nucleus, but I'm sure the folks over at BlogJet could help you out with that. They offer a free trial period, so I highly recommend giving it a whirl.

Wednesday, December 29, 2004 9:07 AM
# Jayson's Blog said:

I've been using Firefox for a long, long timeā€¦ever since the early betas, and jumped on board as

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 12:23 AM